Main Content

HRP June 15th - A Report

Added Saturday 16th June 2018

A stormy afternoon gave way to a relatively warm evening with some drizzle as HRP Lochgelly Raceway opened its gates for another fun-tastic Friday night of stock car racing action. Four cracking formulas were on the bill and it was a busy night with twelve races scheduled.

The 2.0 Hot Rods were first on track and the battle for the silver roof was at the forefront of most spectator's minds as William Hardie and defending points champion Gordon Alexander continued their two-way battle for supremacy. Hardie led as the drivers went into this event and both (as championship holders) would start from the rear of the grid. A double-figure entry arrived to do battle with no surprises in the pits and it was Ryan Adamson and Colin Seath who led the way at the start of heat one. With Ryan Mackie missing the race, the pursuit of the white tops was led by Gerry Hendry from the blue grade and Hendry managed to catch and pass the flying whites to claim the win ahead of a rapid Billy Bonnar and Hardie. The second heat followed a similar pattern to the first as the blues and reds made their way through the pack; but Bonnar kept Hendry far closer this time round and was able to take the win with Hendry's car failing to go the distance. Hendry did not make it back out for the final; but Colin Seath made the most of it as he streaked into a huge lead before the flying Bonnar arrived on the scene to claim his second win of the night with Hardie and Jock Campbell completing the podium.

The CC Rods arrived in brilliant numbers with an entry in the twenties including the first Northern Irishman to compete in the formula in former ProStocks star Del McLaughlin while former Stock Rod regular Brian Wilson had a run in the Ian Walle Jr machine. Wilson was certainly looking very racy indeed and took a relatively easy win from the front of the yellow grade to take victory in heat one. Wilson would have a bit more work to do in heat two but managed to get himself to the front of the pack when it counted most, however, the steward docked Wilson for contact which elevated Lee Scott to the win. It looked like a two-horse race for the feature final but Emma Kirk had other ideas as she put on a great display as she contested the win with Wilson and Scott; but it was Wilson that came through after a protracted race with a number of incidents to take the win with Scott and Kirk completing the podium after an interesting (if not slightly controversial) evening of CC Rod action.

The ProStocks were next on track and a very impressive 19 cars had arrived for the evening's action. A healthy number of white tops at the front of the grid gave the star drivers something to think about but Paul Barron made short work of both heats as he took the two wins. A number of cars had fallen by the wayside as the evening wore on with a number of drivers pushing the boundaries of what is permitted in the formula and that all came to a head in the feature final. After a number of incidents, only a few cars remained running and on the final restart it all kicked off as several drivers decided to take the rules into their own hands resulting in the early declaration of the race which gave Barron his third won of the night as he looks to reclaim the points lead from Ian Christie.

The 1300 Stock Cars were the final formula on show and it was great to see Craig Oliver and recent Ministox graduate Danny Whyte amongst the debutants while former National points Champion Zak Gilmour made his return to the formula with current Points Champion Euan Mathieson also having another run. It was great to see Paul Ford out on track too with the black and white chequered roof after his ASD Welding Services British Championship victory last week too. Whyte made the early running in heat one as he took full advantage of starting at the front of a grid for the first time in a long time. Unfortunately for Whyte, the race came under caution which put the pack on his back bumper and Andrew Mathieson was the one to put this to best use as he overhauled Whyte to take the win. Whyte made no mistakes in heat two as he romped home to his maiden victory in the formula with Andrew Mathieson not too far behind – Whyte will definitely be one to watch! The feature final was run in dusk as the evening wore on and the stars were in no mood to let Whyte make it a double as Andrew Mathieson, Zak Gilmour and Paul Ford all passed the youngster to claim the top three places with Whyte holding on for an excellent fourth to complete a very successful night for the youngster.

Our next meeting at HRP Lochgelly Raceway is THIS SUNDAY and features the return of the BriSCA F1 Stock Cars from 1pm.



Fixtures Coming Soon